How Long Do LED Light Bulbs Last?
Switching to LED bulbs is hugely worthwhile. Why? Because this light source is renowned for being incredibly long lasting. Top of the range LED bulbs now have an average lifespan of 50,000 hours. Here are just a few more reasons why you should invest in LEDs today.
LED bulbs versus other lighting
The huge lifespan of LED bulbs is their biggest advantage, which is made all the more impressive when compared to the lifecycles of other bulbs.
- Incandescent bulbs - 1,000 hours
- Halogen bulb - 2,000 hours
- Compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) - 15,000 hours
While LED bulbs are typically more expensive, the fact they use less electricity than other light sources and don't need replacing as much makes them a sound investment.
The amount of time LED bulbs are in use per day will differ from home to home but you can judge the lifespan you'll get from yours based on the usage estimations below.
- On 12 hours a day - 11.4 years
- On 18 hours a day - 7.6 years
- On 24 hours a day - 5.7 years
How can I tell when they need replacing?
LED bulbs don't burn out like incandescent bulbs but you can tell they need replacing when they lose an element of brightness. An LED bulb reaches the end of its lifespan when it is shining at 70% of its original brightness. This point marks 50,000 hours.
What else affects their lifespan?
In some cases, LED bulbs won't always last the average amount of time specified due to a range or combination of additional factors, including:
- Surrounding temperature - Hot surrounding temperatures can shorten lifespan
- Electrical stress - Running LED bulbs on higher currents than required can shorten lifespan
- Chip fitted? - LED bulbs with constant current chips fitted combat shortened lifespans
- Heatsink - LED bulbs with well-designed heatsinks combat shortened lifespans
If you're thinking about purchasing LED bulbs and have a few more questions you'd like answered, feel free to get in contact with a member of our team today. Call us on 01494 723 286 between 08:30 to 17:00, Monday to Friday.